Friday, January 7, 2011

Elsie the Cow

Borden's Elsie the Cow

I've had  this since I was a little kid (anyone getting tired of hearing that).  I'm not exactly sure why it appealed to me so much that I still have it.  I remember when I got it.  I was at my grandparents' farm and they gave these away one summer at the Borden's Dairy in town.  I'm not sure why this appealed to me so much, but it's been in one of my jewelry boxes since I was a teenager.  Just out of curiosity, I looked online to see if I could find out what it is.  You see, its only about the size of a penny and I have no idea what Borden people expected people to do with them.  What kind of blew me away is I found a website that sells just about everything Borden ever produced (www.esnarf.com/dp.htm, if anyone cares).  I mean, they have cottage cheese containers from the 50s, all the different milk bottle paper caps, you name it.  But...not one of these.  Now I'm even more curious as to what it was meant for.  I mean, how did all these paper dairy containers from 50 years ago survive, and who the hell collects them?  This thing, which kinda makes sense in a way to hang on to, is nowhere to be seen.  Unless they are just so in demand?  I mean, all I had to do was stick it in my pocket and then drop it in a box when I got home.  And, like I said, its the size of a penny...its not taking up a lot of room.  And, not that my life is affected by this, but, why does Elsie the COW have horns?

1 comment: